April 19, 2009

Kaia in Kenya

As you all know, my daddy and I just got back from a trip to Daraja Academy in Kenya. Mommy couldn't come because she has a baby in her tummy. While usually my dad takes lots and lots of photos, but on this trip he had his hands full making sure that I was okay. You see Kenya can be sharp and there is a lot that little girl can get into.

We wished we had more and better pictures of our Safari and time at Daraja, but alas we don't. Below is what we do have, as well as the video here.

Daddy and I got to spend five days in Roundeval 14, now known as the Raisdana roundeval. Uncle Jason likes everyone who visits to plant their own tree, so we planted a few roses that I picked out myself from town.

We had to surround it in thorns so the goats and cows don't eat them. We are hoping in rains soon, so they stay alive. Anyway, here we are at our home away from home.



I met lots of great new people. Unfortunately we don't have any pictures of them. but we do have some photos of my new friend Lorienne. She didn't speak any English, but we got long just fine. Here we are doing some yoga ;)

She was not used to my super hugs!


My daddy thinks there is something about world peace in these photos, but I don't know what he is talking about. I just loved meeting another little girl.




Here we are hanging out on the field reading books and looking at the Cow. Her name is Mad Cow/Karen. Don't ask.

My dad was reading a book I have called Kapiti Plain. It is about drought, that is when the rains don't come. We were comparing what the land looked like in real life and the book.



The Safari was great we saw a lion, giraffes, gazelles, warthogs and more. Where are the pictures you ask? My daddy was busy holding on to my ankles as I darted back and forth in the back seat of the car. Here we are at a chimpanzee center, you can't see them, but there are about 24 chimps right behind me.

Finally, I learned to appreciate my long warm baths. Bathing in Kenya was a very different experience. It usually involved a cold showering and some screaming, although I did have a proper bath on the last day thank to Aunt Jenni!

All in all it was a great trip, and we can't wait to go back. A big thank you to Jason and Jenni and everyone at Daraja!

2 comments:

  1. love is the universal language sweet kaia :) it doesn't need english or any other spoken word- just a handhold or a hug. namaste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a wonderful trip. And an exciting one as well! Did you take the picture of your rose? That was a very nice idea. I hope it grows and grows and that someone will send you a picture of it after it grows. Then you can put it on your blog for all of us to see!

    ReplyDelete